Sunday, September 30, 2007

Costa Rica.....


Well i'm officially home from Costa Rica, and all I can say is AMAZING. Not just the country but the experience I had and the incredible people I met. I'll just give you the readers digest version of my week....

Everyday we woke up to go to The San Rafael Center for the Elderly from 8am - 12pm. It seems like a short time and some days it was. But in the end I feel it was just right. At this home there are many different amazing people that live there. We exercised, took walks to the park, played games, gave the women manicures and men hand massages, planted a garden, learned how to macrame and so much more.

After our placement we had lunch and everyday did some thing a little bit different. The variety of things that we did were....
-Spanish Classes
-Cooking Class where we learned to make homemade tortilla's
-Latin Dance Class (such a workout!)
-Visited the Irazu Volcano and it's museum oh and gift shop...where my dear friend Karen bought a $40 bird book :)
-Went to the Timpanti Rainforest!!! (I so wanted to see a sloth but no such luck)
-Took a long journey to The La Paz Gardens (a must see if you're ever in Costa Rica!!!)
-A city tour of Cartago where we saw many various things in the town....the market, the basillica, the government building etc...

After our adventures we then had dinner every night at 6:30 sharp! I was kinda worried about the food there but it turned out to be really great.....Pineapple did save me on various occasions, but I was definitley well fed!

Sadly this is just a short summary of my time, but I just have to say it was an experience i'll never forget. I met some amazing women that I volunteered with (Karen, Mandy, Stephanie, Anne, Cynnthia, Bonnie, Lydia, Heather, Natalie, and Becky) and some amazing residents of the San Rafael Center.

I want to put up a slide show of some pictures that I took, but its late and i'll do that later! (plus I don't even know how yet:)

4 comments:

Kristen Harmon said...

Glad to hear you had such a great time Brookie! I definitely wanna see lots of pictures of you giving us a "Costa Rican" thumbs-up; I hope that you took a few of those! ;)

To do an album is really easy, you can see on our blog that I just did one of our trip to Utah & embedded it into the blog. Since you're on Mac, you need to go to picasaweb.google.com and download the Mac PicasaWeb uploader tool, and then you can upload an album to PicasaWeb (even directly from iPhoto) and embed the slideshow into a new post or your sidebar. :D

If that made any sense... Call me if you want any assistance!

Ty and Holly said...

Welcome back Brooklyn! I can't wait to see all your pics! You can go to www.slide.com too for a slide show. Anyways, call me I want to hear everything so I know what I'm going into at the end of the month :)

Karen said...

Nice work, Brooklyn. I'll send you my blog address when I get it set up.

Karen from CCS!

Unknown said...

Hey Brooklyn,

Nice! I loved reading about our experience in your words. Keep in touch!

Natalia